Wednesday, August 9, 2017

To the Lighthouse and its Generous Patron!

In 2007.
I think most of us who hang out on line have enjoyed Skip Heckel's photos on Facebook of all the work that's been done on the Menominee Lighthouse, also known as North Pierhead Light, or just plain North Pier Light.

I don't need to remind anyone how lucky we are to have this gem in our community. I'm pretty sure everyone appreciates the solid red and white reminder of our community's maritime roots. The bay was every bit as important to our development as a lumber port as the river was - and the fates of the two bodies of water are intertwined.

My first awareness of the lighthouse was probably forged on foggy nights via the foghorn. I remember falling asleep to its sound, when we lived downtown and later on the near east side of Marinette. It was mournful but somehow comforting.

When I turned 19, my two best friends, knowing my affinity for all things nautical, planned a surprise picnic for me at the lighthouse. The Coast Guard wasn't bothered by us; we witnessed a watch change and stayed out there until it grew dark.

I visited a few more times before leaving the area. In summer I'd long to be back home, but it trips were hurried and never long enough to spend time at the lighthouse.

Upon returning to the area 23 years ago, I'd drive out there every now and then, just to check on it. In recent years, I've taken visiting friends, new to our area, out there for a photographs.

It wasn't until 1300 people either toured the lighthouse or toured the Marinette-made USGC Mackinaw  in October 2008 when the chamber organized a Maritime weekend to coincide with the cutter's visit that I knew just how many of us revere this wonderful and historic structure.

On a recent hot night, my husband and I bought a sandwich downtown and ate it out near the lighthouse. Foot traffic on the pier was heavy; everyone wanted to see the facelift.

Yes, the facelift. An anonymous patron has paid for an extensive renovation job, that appears to include extras that tell the story of the lighthouse and its role in our community's history. There's even a new bike path down there.

I'm not saying, but I've got a pretty good idea who might be behind this magnificent and generous gesture. Many many thanks are due.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Be polite. Rants will be removed by the blog owner.

Kudos to the Anti-Mine Activists!

It was encouraging that three Menominee city officials wanted to stop the city from accepting donations from Aquila Resources, the Canadian ...